[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] One OPAC to Rule Them All...

Jason Etheridge phasefx at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 15:32:51 EST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 3:21 PM, Don McMorris <dmcmorris at esilibrary.com> wrote:
> I think here was just a mix of two terminologies.  I think when Jason
> said Library, he was using it as a synonym to Association.  Not
> necessarily a single location, but a single organization.

In Evergreen-speak, I'm talking Organizational Units, which can be
abstract.   A whole consortium is an org unit, for example, as well as
a single branch, and anything in-between can be an org unit.

> I think I understand what you want to do, and that would be pretty much
> two totally separate installations.

If one of the goals is to keep the same library card wherever you go,
then one installation would be good.  You can set defaults in the OPAC
to target specific org units based on the URL used (and you can use
different virtual hostnames, they all just point to the same server
IP).  And who knows, maybe at some point you will want to start doing
ILL between these libraries, and then loosening restrictions on the
OPAC would make this easy.

--
Jason Etheridge