[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] open-ils.org Demo and Dev server

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 14:42:58 EST 2008

First, apologies for for cross-posting folks, but this is a fairly
important message.

At about noon today we discovered that the database server that
supports both http://dev.gapines.org and http://demo.gapines.org had
begun suffering an ongoing catastrophic hardware incident, and it has
been taken off-line in order to perform required maintenance.

The server in question is connected to a networked storage device
(SAN) via a fibre channel connection, and this connection has failed
during database writes.  The exact root cause of the failure is not
known at this time, but one of the symptoms is the corruption of the
main system tables that keep track of all user tables in the main
database used by both demo and dev.  Because of this, large portions
of the database have become damaged beyond recovery.  We are actively
working to rebuild a demo and dev database, and will alert these lists
when this work is complete.

We apologize for any inconvenience, as unavoidable as this outage is.

--miker