[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] What are your requirements for Evergreen?

Bryan Baldus bryan.baldus at quality-books.com
Wed Jan 30 15:22:10 EST 2008

On Wednesday, January 30, 2008 2:04 PM, Mike Rylander wrote:
>Browse "indexes" are planned.

That is good to know.

<http://authorities.loc.gov>).

>Do you mean "which authoized headings have bibliographic records?"  If so,
that is planned as well, but for a later date than bibliographic result set
browsing.

That would be nice, too, but I was also interested in which unauthorized
headings have bibliographic records.

For example, an LC Authorities search on "Wagner, Richard 1953" shows:

<authorized or not> Number  | <number of bib records> | Headings/references
| Type of heading

[Authorized heading] 1 | 2 <bib records> | Wagner, Richard, 1953- | personal
name
[Authorized heading] 2 | 22 | Wagner, Richard, 1966- | personal name
[Authorized heading]  3 | 3 | Wagner, Richard A. | personal name
4 | 4 | Wagner, Richard Anton, 1860-
5 | 4 | Wagner, Richard Anton, 1860- [from old catalog] | personal name
[References] 6 | 0 | Wagner, Richard Arthur, 1958- | personal name

So, in the 1st column, the button appearing if the heading is authorized or
a reference on an authorized heading, and no button if there is no
authorized heading or reference. This would allow the cataloger, for
example, to see which headings on bibliographic records might have a typo or
otherwise needs to be established. An improvement on the LC Authorities
results listing would be for the number of bib records column to be
hyperlinked to bring up a list of those records without having to go through
the Online Catalog interface in a separate search. The 4th column, Type of
heading, can be useful for seeing headings that are miscoded (for example,
if a heading for a person had "corporate name" instead of "personal name")
or for seeing the source of the subject heading (LCSH, LCAC, Sears, etc.).

Thank you for your assistance,

Bryan Baldus
Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.