[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Monthly welcome message to open-ils* readers

Karen G. Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Fri Jul 25 09:20:10 EDT 2008

Hi, I'm Karen, Community Librarian for Equinox Software Inc., the support
and development company for Evergreen open-source library software. This
is a monthly reminder about Evergreen's discussion lists--what they are,
who they are for, and a little administrivia (list archives, signing off
and on, etc.)

** What lists are available and what are they for?

See: http://open-ils.org/listserv.php

* open-ils-general is for questions, comments, feature requests and
discussions, community announcements, events, and other issues of a
general nature (hence the name
). If you aren't sure where to start,
open-ils-general is a good list to begin with. If you are new to
open-ils-general, or haven't posted in a while, why not share a little
about your interest in Evergreen?

* open-ils-dev is a more technically-oriented list for developers working
with Evergreen code (or thinking of working with it, curious about it,
etc.).

* open-ils-documentation is a list for people writing or revising
Evergreen documentation (end-user, technical, training, etc.).

* open-ils-commits provides real-time, technically-oriented announcements
of the most recent "commits" (that is, the permanent changes to Evergreen
software). Note: all significant changes to Evergreen are summarized on
our roadmap and posted to the Evergreen blog and discussion lists.

** Why are these lists named "open-ils" and not "Evergreen"?

Open-ILS was the original name for Evergreen software.

** I’d like to see another Evergreen list.

Propose one on the lists!

** Which list do I use for suggesting new Evergreen features?

Please post feature requests to open-ils-general so we can all see and
discuss them. If the Evergreen community approves a feature, it is then
moved to a list maintained by the core developers so it can enter the
Evergreen production pipeline. Approved features will also appear on the
Evergreen roadmap, http://open-ils.org/roadmap.php

** How do I change my subscription options?

To sign off, suspend, or change your list options from separate messages
to digest, see the mailing list pages, at http://open-ils.org/listserv.php

** How can I read the list archives?

See http://open-ils.org/listserv.php . Each list has a URL linked under
its description. Those URLs lead to list archives (as well as to
subscription options).

** Who’s using Evergreen?

Evergreen is currently in use (and was first put into production in
September, 2006) by Georgia Library PINES, a consortium of over 270 public
libraries. British Columbia has a growing Evergreen-powered 18-library
consortium named SITKA, with seven libraries already in production. The
Robertson Library at the University of Prince Edward Island is the first
academic library to use Evergreen in production. Kent County (Md.) Public
Library is also running Evergreen in production and has become the first
public library in Maryland to use an open source automation system.
Marshall (Mo.) Public Library will be the first single-site hosted
Evergreen library when it migrates to Evergreen in 2008.

Laurentian University is also committed to Evergreen and is collaborating
with GPLS, British Columbia, McMaster University, and the University of
Windsor on an Acquisitions/Serials module. The Michigan Library Consortium
and Grand Rapids Public Library are working together to develop a shared
library system using Evergreen. And now the Indiana State Library and the
Hussey Mayfield Memorial Public Library (Zionsville) have announced the
Indiana Open Source ILS Initiative, which will use Evergreen. The King
County Library System has also put out an RFP for Evergreen development,
implementation, and support.

** How can I find out more about Evergreen?

Subscribe to one of these mailing lists, see our project website
(http://open-ils.org ), stop by the Freenode IRC network for real-time
chat on channel #OpenILS-Evergreen, openils-evergreen (its history is
logged ), or email our core developers at feedback at open-ils.org

** What’s your favorite Evergreen feature?

Bookbags. Can’t get enough of them!

Thanks for reading this far... remember, these are your lists; use them in
good health!