[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Monthly welcome message to open-ils* readers

Karen G. Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Fri Jul 25 11:11:33 EDT 2008

> I wonder if it would be good to add a discussion list dedicated to lower
> level installation/configuration issues which might be too technical for
> the general list but not technical/sophisticated enough for the heavy
> duty developer group who are working on groundbreaking research and
> development? In other words, it would be a group for amateurs like me to
> discuss installation issues without taking away from the critical
> discussions going on regarding the long-term development of the open ILS
> system. It would also make the group archives easier to search to find
> if technical issues have been resolved by others.
>
> Robert

Robert, that's an interesting proposal. My take, as a relative newbie
myself (and a longstanding list moderator elsewhere), is that questions of
varying "technicalitude" scatter across the general and dev lists somewhat
randomly. I don't have an answer to that just yet, but I'm wondering if
the key is not to splice out yet another list based on how technical the
task is, but to create a separate list related exclusively to server
installation and configuration, and have "dev" be "dev"? It is relatively
easy to move a thread to another list if it morphs into dev issues.

If it worked, this might have the additional advantage of moving some of
the technical discussion away from "general," so that people with
non-technical questions would feel more welcome to post them there. (How
does X work? Have you thought of this feature? When is X coming out? Are
you going to be speaking at the X conference? Etc.)

I toss this out only as one idea among possibly many... thoughts?

Karen the Librarian