[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Installation

Gord Ripley gripley at trentu.ca
Fri Mar 14 12:39:43 EDT 2008

Hi Dan:

Thanks. These are great, and I foresee that my installation problems are at an end. Almost anyway.

Best wishes,

Gord

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
*   Gord Ripley
*   Systems Librarian,
*   Bata Library, Trent University,
*   1600 West Bank Drive
*   Peterborough, Ontario  K9J 7B8
*
*   Voice : 705- 748-1011 ext. 7517
*   E-mail : gripley at trentu.ca
*   Web : http://people.trentu.ca/gripley/
*
*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

On 11/03/2008, Gord Ripley <gripley at trentu.ca> wrote:
> Hi:
>
>  Can anyone throw a bit of light on what is meant by the following lines in the Debian/Evergreen installation instructions? ie. change to what? And for #21, again, set to what? Maybe it will be instructive for insiders to see how a Linux/Evergreen tyro can be seriously baffled by what must seem  trivial. A few words in the documentation could remedy this, I expect. Unless, of course, Linux/Evergreen tyros are expected to play elsewhere.
 *>
>  Gord
>

>  #19 Edit opensrf.xml:
>
>    1.      Change the database user, name, password, and host entries throughout.
>    2.      Change the opening and closing tags within the <hosts> XML element to reflect your FQDN.
>
>  #20 Edit opensrf_core.xml:
>
>    1.      Change the Jabber users and domains.
>
>  #21 Edit live-db-setup.pl:
>
>    1.      Set the database connection information. This is used by the cgi-bin config scripts.

Hmm. I had never run across "tyro" before. Anyways...

So one by one, I'll try providing more elaborate instructions. These
actually come almost directly from the workshop presentation I gave at
code4lib (http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=advocacy:evergreen_workshop),
in which I was trying to address precisely these areas of ambiguity in
the original docs (when I was just too tired to figure out how to
explain it clearly).

Tell me if it's a move in the right direction:

#19:

Change the database name, database user and password, and database
hostname entries throughout opensrf.xml to match the database name,
username, password, and hostname that you created in step #5.

For example:

                    <databases>
                        <driver>Pg</driver>
                        <database>
                            <type>master</type>
                            <weight>2</weight>
                            <user>evergreen</user>
                            <host>localhost</host>
                            <port>5432</port>
                            <pw>evergreen</pw>
                            <db>evergreen</db>
                            <client_encoding>UTF-8</client_encoding>
                        </database>
                    </databases>

Change the name of the child element of the <hosts> element in
opensrf.xml to match the fully-qualified domain name of your server.
For example:

    <hosts>
        <evergreen-server.localdomain>
            <!-- ^-=-
                Should match the fully qualified domain name of the host.

                On Linux, the output of the following command is authoritative:
          $ perl -MNet::Domain -e 'print Net::Domain::hostfqdn();'
            -->

            <activeapps>
                <!-- services hosted on this machine -->
                <appname>opensrf.settings</appname>
                <appname>opensrf.math</appname>
            ... other stuff here
    </evergreen-server.localdomain>
</hosts>

#20 Edit opensrf_core.xml:

  1.      Change the Jabber usernames and passwords as follows:

/config/opensrf/username = opensrf
/config/gateway/username = opensrf
/config/router/transport/username = router

We also specify the domains from which we'll accept and to which we'll
make connections. Let's just specify "localhost" throughout for a
single-server install for each of the following elements:

/config/opensrf/routers/router
/config/opensrf/domains/domain
/config/gateway/domains/domain
/config/router/transport/trusted_domains/server
/config/router/transport/trusted_domains/client

# 21. Copy /openils/conf/srfsh.xml.example to .srfsh.xml in the home
directory of each user you want to use to run the srfsh command line
client for testing OpenSRF, and edit .srfsh.xml as follows:

* username and password is your opensrf client
* domain is the router hostname
* logfile is the full path for a log file

  <domains>
    <domain>localhost</domain>
  </domains>
  <username>opensrf</username>
  <passwd>opensrfpass</passwd>
  <logfile>/home/opensrf/srfsh.log</logfile>

#22. Edit live-db-setup.pl:
   1.      Set the database connection information. This is used by
the cgi-bin config scripts. For example:

$main::config{dsn} = 'dbi:Pg:host=127.0.0.1;dbname=evergreen;port=5432';
$main::config{usr} = 'evergreen';
$main::config{pw} = 'evergreen';
$main::config{index} = "config.cgi";

--