[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Z39.50 and Evergreen

James Fournie jfournie at sitka.bclibraries.ca
Wed May 14 14:32:43 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

My name is James and I'm on the BC SITKA (formerly PINES) team.  I
have been working on configuring Z39.50 targets on our Evergreen
servers.  We have had the following experiences:

Amicus/National Library of Canada
  - works

SIRSI/Unicorn based Z39.50 servers
  - works

Horizon-based Z39.50 servers
  - TCN bug in Evergreen prevents some records from being imported.
patch in the works for future release of Evergreen

TLC / ITSMARC
  - requires "truncation" attribute for ISBN/ISSN searching
  - requires a patch to retrieve the "F" (full records) element set
instead of the "FI" (full records without holdings) element set

We were wondering if anyone else had any experience with Z39.50
targets.  I would like to compile a list of "supported Z39.50
services" for libraries shopping around for vendors.

Thanks,

James Fournie
BC SITKA Project Consultant