[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Feature request: location/status feed

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Mon Oct 6 09:48:16 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 6:07 AM, Geoff Sinclair <geoffs at eclibrary.ca> wrote:
> A web service of some sort (using RSS?) that would give a continual, nearly
> real-time feed of changes to item availability status (whether it has been
> checked out, moved to another location, etc.)

Hi Geoff,

Would you be more interested in specific item information or a more
general "Is anything available at the moment for this title and
library?"  Both are available from REST-like services, but not
specifically as RSS, I don't believe.  Are you more interested in
human-readable RSS that work just like search results or bookbags, or
something else?

Hey Mike, et al,

Just out of couriosity, would we gain anything by adding ATOM and RSS
formats to the web gateway to compliment JSON and XML for all methods?
  (Feel free to move this part to the -dev list)

> This web service could be used by discovery interfaces such as Endeca and VUfind to reveal these data as
> facets. E.g., "show me all the documentaries on DVD that aren't checked out of the library" (I want something now),

This might be doable now.

> or "show me all the books on globalization that are checked out of the library" (I want to see what other people are
> reading right now).

But I don't think this one is.

Anyone else interested in this sort of thing?

--
Jason Etheridge