[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Feature inquiry

Stuart Miller stuartwm at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 6 17:32:35 EDT 2008

Deanna,

I certainly don't object to making tagging optional, but I think it really is something that every library should offer.

I agree that tagging can be quite messy and inevitably leads to situations such as you describe. But after all, you DID find the product with just the one term, so does it matter that others added many variants?

I agree that using controlled vocabulary schemes can sometimes be more efficient, but I think we see tagging as a boon for any group with a shared interest, especially when LCSH doesn't really cut it.

And students appear to ENJOY this capability--and probably assign tags that are more easily recognizable among their peers than some of the rather bizarre and sometimes woefully outdated LC headings. And, judging from the subject cataloging I've seen in our large database, I'm not sure that librarians can lay any special claim to consistency or scientific rigor when assigning subject headings. I think any group--academically inclined or otherwise--has its own informal lingo that is well served by tagging.

Sorry, not really directly relevant to Evergreen development!

Stuart Miller