[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Feature inquiry

Steve Toub stoub at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 7 12:28:51 EDT 2008

Dan Scott wrote:

> Your assertions about student behaviour conflict with the findings
> presented at Access 2008 just last week by both Ken Varnum (who
> presented on MTagger results at University of Michigan) and Steve Toub
> (who presented research results on social behaviour at Queen's
> University in conjunction with the work Bibliocommons is doing). Both
> presentations showed the results of research that tagging in an
> academic library context is something that appears to be valued by
> librarians, but not particularly (or at all) by library users.

My take: if you build a tagging service with the absence of
understanding motivations for tagging, use of that service will probably
be low.

Its still early days for understanding tagging in the catalog, too early
to know for sure if this is valued by library users. Our preliminary
research indicated most academic users we interviewed would likely
contribute at least one or two data elements if they saw the value in
doing so.

> Steve's presentation showed that students didn't get "tagging" in a
> library catalog, even though they recognized the feature in Facebook.
> Completely different contexts.

Yep. Assigning a persons name to a portion of a photo in Facebook seems
completely, uh, lobotomized, from assigning descriptive text to a web page.

> Apologies to the speakers for horribly simplifying the presentations
> (hopefully they will be made available somewhere), but my take-away
> was that implementing tagging in the Evergreen catalog interface
> should be a low priority.

I've posted my presentation on SlideShare:
  http://ugc-academic.notlong.com

There's a slide toward the back on strategies for ensuring high quality
contributions.

There was a breakout group at Access that discussed the idea of sharing
user-generated content across systems. I think the first step was to do
an inventory of existing data elements with an eye toward how they might
map to existing schema (e.g., hReview [1]),xFolk [2], DiSo [3], APML
[4]); Roy Tennant and I added this metadata inventory/mapping task to
our "to do on a rainy day" lists, but we'd would welcome others to help
jump us start this.

I don't know of any InSurge repositories other than the only SOPAC
instance in production: Darien Public Library. I'm still not clear on
the actual mechanism for syncing InSurge repositories but seems to
require some kind of manual setup. The discussion forum for InSurge is at:
	http://www.thesocialopac.net/forum/22

--
Steve Toub
Product Manager, BiblioCommons