[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] OCLC Z39.50

Travis Schafer tschafer at carsoncity.k12.mi.us
Wed Oct 8 00:01:40 EDT 2008

Okay,

Eventually, I stopped panicking and checked the log files. At that point, I saw the following message in osrfsys.log when I attempted to search OCLC:

open-ils.search [ERR :13744:Z3950.pm:266:1223436744106391] z3950: bad XML : Unsupported record transmission format USMARC at /usr/local/openils/lib/perl5/OpenILS/Application/Search/Z3950.pm line 251.

At that point, I changed my $output      = "USMARC"; at the top of Z3950.pm to my $output      = "usmarc";

That worked.

Of course, I thought "well, I must have missed something." I checked SVN (trunk) and noticed that USMARC was lowercase there. Did we (my organization) use the wrong tarball for the last upgrade? Should I not let summer interns (even if they are really, really good CS majors) upgrade servers?

Anyway, thanks for dealing with my panic... yet again.

--TS

>>> "Travis Schafer" <tschafer at carsoncity.k12.mi.us> 10/7/2008 1:58 PM >>>
Hello,

As we've moved further into our transition to Evergreen, we've just started to use OCLC cataloguing (I've been waiting for the support contracts on our former ILS to expire to offset the OCLC costs). By "starting to use," I mean that we have an OCLC authorization. Prior to OCLC, we used Z39.50 with the LOC... which worked well.

However, when do a Z39.50 search with OCLC, the "Results" section of the Evergreen Z39.50 screen says "Showing 0 Results of X", where X is greater than zero. So, it seems to be finding the records, but they are not displayed. Being a network guy, I did a packet trace at our firewall, and I can see the results coming back from OCLC (MARC records are present)... it's just that they aren't listed in the Evergreen interface.

What am I missing?

Thanks for nursing me along,

Travis Schafer
Carson City - Crystal Area Schools