[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] SPAM: Serials Management and the Collaborative Itch

Geoff Sinclair geoffs at eclibrary.ca
Mon Sep 8 10:55:05 EDT 2008

Mark Leggott wrote:
> One could also think a little more creatively and not sync changes
> between the 2, but rather enable both databases into a search from the
> OPAC - in other words searching in the OPAC would conduct a search on
> both Evergreen and CUFTS at the same time, mashing results back to the
> user. Adding a "federated search" capability into the Evergreen
> front-end would have benefits elsewhere as well. One of the compelling
> features of Evergreen for us was the modular architecture - in fact I
> would argue that Evergreen already provides a nice OLE-like
> architecture for building modular library frameworks, so why not show
> how it can be done?

I like this approach because it's cleaner conceptually, but what about
the performance considerations (both response time and search
functionality)? And, since you're already syncing now, have you built a
real-time feed, or are you doing a nightly batch?

More generally, we plan to shift our systems and workflows to focus
primarily on e-journals, reducing the time and money spent on print, and
we believe this will benefit our patrons. Our e-journal holdings aren't
even in our OPAC, but, through some customization, we have managed to
get our print and microfilm holdings into our OpenURL resolver (SFX). I
wonder if having 5% of our journals in the OPAC is worse than having
none at all...understandably, our patrons have a hard time understanding
where to go to find our resources.

Geoff

--
Geoff Sinclair