[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] RE: Serials Management

David Fiander david at fiander.info
Tue Sep 16 19:55:21 EDT 2008

Stuart,

Thanks. It's just a CSV spreadsheet with several different tables
glued together, by the looks of it. They were at least kind enough to
include headings for the columns, but you are right: it is pretty
inscrutable.

Interestingly enough, the "note" field in the first table
(affectionately referred to by Horizon developers as "Olga" for some
reason) is actually a MFHD caption & pattern field:

    $83$a[v.]$b[no.]$u4$vr$i(year)$j(season)$wq$x21

First level enumeration is volume # (not printed on the item),
Second level enumeration is issue # (not printed on item),
There are four issues in a volume,
Issue numbering resets every volume (that is, issues are not
continuously numbered)
Alternative chronological enumeration is year and season
It's published quarterly
New volumes begin with the Spring issue

Is that note field something that all of the export files have, or is
it coming from somewhere else, do you know?

- David