[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Cataloguing: Question about editing fixed lengthmarc fields in 1.4

Duimovich, George George.Duimovich at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Tue Apr 28 09:59:26 EDT 2009

Thanks for posting Cynthia - I was going to post the same question.

I can see how the 008 field gets auto-populated with certain fixed length content, but our cataloguers want to be able to edit the 008 (I believe for date created?). I think part of the oddness is that the editor won't let you switch into overwrite mode so that if you modify 008 it interacts with certain fixed data you've already entered (so then you have to adjust to account for your insert).

Additionally, if you are using a mouse, use double click instead of single click in the fixed fields and that set you up better for modifications/additions to the fixed fields.

George Duimovich
NRCan Library / Bibliothèque RNCan
Tel: (613) 996-2101

________________________________

From: open-ils-general-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org [mailto:open-ils-general-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Cynthia Williamson
Sent: April 28, 2009 8:57 AM
To: Evergreen Discussion Group
Subject: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Cataloguing: Question about editing fixed lengthmarc fields in 1.4

Hi All - I'm wondering about editing the the fixed length fields in MARC in 1.4, esp the leader and 008.  I'm used to having prompts and drop down choices in other ILSs and don't seem to be able to figure out the mechanics of editing these babies in Evergreen.  I'm starting to scan documentation from folks like Georgia, Indiana, BC Pines, etc. as I'm assuming not much changed from earlier versions.  So it may be that I'll find the answer out there somewhere but thought I'd ask if someone can describe it in a nutshell or point me to some documentation?

Cheers, Cynthia
Mohawk College
Hamilton, ON