[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Documentation proposal -- input requested

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Wed Feb 4 08:17:14 EST 2009

Some terrific ideas!

I admit that I am really a "noob" myself in this arena and running as fast
as I can to learn more... the idea of a documentation "hackfest" appeals in
part because it forces some larnin'. ;) A two-part hackfest, even better.
People who will help organize such an event -- priceless. (Looks around...)

Concur on the model chapter idea, though would almost rather it be something
that was about Evergreen, even a small topic. (For those of you who can
remember back this far, think Fanny Farmer Junior Cookbook. Or for those who
homebrew, think how the classic brewing texts walk you through a real
recipe.)

The idea of encouraging XML but not dampening the ardor of those for whom
even a friendly XML editor is a barrier is a good one.

I was asked yesterday if we really, really needed XML, or if we couldn't
just get by on Dokuwiki and text-based documentation. I think Dan Scott made
a great argument why this is not the case two years ago in his original
proposal. A really strong XML structure tends to guide the style of the
documentation as much as anything else. Also, the possibilities for
translation, formatting, and reuse are much better if it's in XML. I would
say, from looking around, that the majority of serious OSS projects use
XML-based documentation. Also, and this won't seem odd to people who spend
hands-on time with both, I think XML is actually easier to learn and create
than wiki-based documentation -- even if you aren't using a GUI. Wiki syntax
is highly bespoke and laborious; XML at least makes sense.

Karen G. Schneider