[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Documentation proposal -- input requested

Karen Collier kcollier at kent.lib.md.us
Thu Feb 12 18:18:05 EST 2009

That sounds like a session I'd like to attend. :)

Karen C

----- "Karen Schneider" <kgs at esilibrary.com> wrote:
> The conference idea (slaps forehead) that's inspired! That sounds like at least one program -- heck it could even be a Hackfest, a kind of gonzo instruction class involving installing a free open source XML editor, applying templates, working in XML, etc. (There's no reason Hackfests need to be limited to development!)
>
> thanks, Catherine!
>
> Thoughts from others in the community?
>
> Karen S.
>

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Catherine Buck Morgan < Cmorgan at statelibrary.sc.gov > wrote:

Karen,

I was reading this last night and checking out Docbook. To say this is a timely topic would be an understatement… I love the title, by the way—The Book of Evergreen.

One thing that stood out particularly was the ability to translate the documentation to word and pdf. (I've decided I'm the "tween generation"… remember and appreciate the good old paper manual, like the convenience of online contextual documentation, but still want to be able to scribble my notes in the margins of how it really works for my system…. ) I really think you're on the right road with the XML platform.

Using (or an intro to) Docbook might be a good topic for the conference…

--Catherine.

--

Catherine Buck Morgan

Director, Division of Innovation, Technology & Library Services

South Carolina State Library

POB 11469, 1500 Senate Street, Columbia, SC 29211

Phone: 803-734-8651 | Fax: 803-734-4757

cmorgan at statelibrary.sc.gov

www.statelibrary.sc.gov

The South Carolina State Library is a national model for innovation, collaboration, leadership and effectiveness. It is the keystone in South Carolina's intellectual landscape.