[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen Newsletter, February 2009

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Fri Feb 13 10:57:02 EST 2009

 Evergreen Newsletter

*The newsletter for Evergreen open source library software*

*Evergreen International Conference May 20-22, 2009
http://solinet.net/evergreen
*

*http://evergreen-ils.org
*

Volume 2, Issue 2 February, 2009
 Conversation Hearts!

As a reminder, we will post this newsletter to the Evergreen general
discussion list (see all Evergreen lists at
http://evergreen-ils.org/listserv.php) and to the Evergreen blog (
http://evergreen-ils.org/blog). Cross-posting and forwarding is encouraged.
 In This Issue… Evergreen Out and About, Evergreen 1.4.0.2 Available,
Evergreen Conference,  New OPAC Skin for 1.4, Evergreen Webinars, SOLINET
Evergreen Classes, Documentation Update, Evergreen in the Czech Republic,
New Evergreen Libraries, Newsletter Administrivia
 Out and About: An Evergreen Calendar

*Let us know and we'll add your "out and about with Evergreen" events to
this calendar!
*

 *Code4Lib 2009* (Providence, Feb 23-26): Evergreen developer Mike Rylander
and Community Librarian Karen Schneider will be at Code4Lib, as will other
members of the Evergreen community. You can anticipate at at least one Birds
of a Feather at this popular annual conference (see
http://code4lib.org/conference). Equinox Software Inc. is a proud sponsor of
Code4Lib -- now at the Gold level ($5,000).

*Computers in Libraries* (D.C., March 30 - April 1) will feature a rock-out,
boffo panel of Evergreen Divas: Karen Schneider from Equinox; Ruth Dukelow
from Michigan Library Consortium; Karen Collier and Andrea Neiman from Kent
County Library in Maryland. http://www.infotoday.com/CIL2009/ *
*

*Texas Library Association* (Houston, March 31 - April 3): We're exhibiting
there, so scoot your boots over to booth 1115 and sit a spell with Shae,
Karen, Bob, and Brad!

*British Columbia Library Association *(Burnaby, April 16-18) will feature a
talk by Karen Schneider on creativity and open source.
http://www.bcla.bc.ca/Conference2009/default.aspx

*Evergreen International Conference *(Athens, Georgia, May 20 – 22, 2009).
Our first conference! Joe Lucia and Jessamyn West will be keynoting! See
more about this exciting event below.

*Past Conferences*: Dan Scott has two great conference posts from OLA 2009,
while the Evergreen presence at ER&L 2009 -- a great conversation about open
source and libraries, featuring Karen Schneider, Tim Geary, and Andrew Nagy
-- was hashtagged by the Twitterverse <http://hashtags.org/tag/erl09>.

http://coffeecode.net/archives/182-Project-Conifer-update-session-at-OLA-SuperConference-2009.html

http://coffeecode.net/archives/2009/02/01.html

Plus read on for Evergreen in the Czech Republic!
 Evergreen 1.4.0.2 Available!

Evergreen 1.4.0.2 (the latest in the 1.4.0*) series is now available. The
feature list for the 1.4.0 series is here:
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=feature_list_1_4_0. See the
Evergreen download page (http://evergreen-ils.org/listserv.php) for source
code, staff client, images, and more. Have fun with the MARC record
importer-exporter, the locale picker, and other great features -- it's a
blast!

Remember that the Evergreen staff client needs to match the server version.

<jbielewski at solinet.net> Evergreen International Conference, May 20-22, 2009
*See*  *http://www.solinet.net/evergreen

Questions? Sponsorship and exhibits requests? Program submissions? Email
events at evergreen-ils.org
*

The first-ever Evergreen International Conference is just around the corner!
Here are the top ten tidbits about this wonderful, can't-miss conference:

1. *Takes place May 20-22, 2009* at the Classic Center in Athens, Georgia, a
very attractive university town with great restaurants and pubs, just one
hour from the Atlanta airport. *New! We have firmed up
accommodations,*which are delightfully reasonable and a comfy walking
distance to the
Classic Center.

2. *Registration opens* Wednesday, February 18, 2009, on the conference
website *http://www.solinet.net/evergreen* -- We are holding this conference
to a comfortable 150 attendees, so spaces will fill fast -- don't delay!

3. *Fascinating keynote speakers*: *Joe Lucia* of Villanova University (and
Vufind fame), and *Jessamyn West*, noted librarian, technology advocate,
blogger/writer, and champion of open source!

4. *Call for programs closes* 5 p.m. EST on *March 2, 2009* -- programs are
on three tracks: Library Administration, Front-line Users, and Tech Topics.
Why not submit a program about how you're using Evergreen or plan to use
Evergreen?

5. May 20 is an *all-day Hackfest* (no additional registration fee) in the
comfortable environs of the Classic Center. Don't be dissuaded by the word
"hack"! If you have an idea and want quiet, wired space to explore it it
with other colleagues, just plan on it. We already have several
happening--including at least a half-day session on documentation.

6. The conference kicks off the evening of May 21 with a *Vendor Reception *--
just enough food to replenish you before you head out into the adorable
environs of downtown Athens, with its pubs and restaurants. If you're a
vendor, note that this is a no-conflict event so we can give your product
lots of attention!

7. May 21 - 22 features fascinating *programs*, long breaks where you
can *network
with peers*, a *luncheon* (no events during the luncheon, so you can spend
time talking with friends, colleagues, and vendors) and a *Table Talk
Breakfast
*

8. *User led 5-minute lightning talks* will spark up the conference,
while *Birds
of a Feather sessions* offer even more opportunities to commune with
like-minded peers about topics of interest. Even if you don't have a full
45-minute program to offer, you may have 5 minutes for sharing a great idea.

9. *Sponsorship *and *exhibiting *opportunities abound -- sponsor at a
specific level (Gold, Silver, Platinum), sponsor one of our many events, or
just exhibit! *
*

10. Affordable *accommodations* (we just lined up two great but also
great-priced hotels within walking distance), superb local *meal *values,
and the Classic Center has *free wifi*!

 The 2009 Evergreen Conference is being jointly coordinated by Georgia
Public Library Service, Equinox Software, SOLINET, and several others in the
Evergreen community, including Catherine Lemmer of Indiana Evergreen.
New OPAC Skin to be 1.4-ready!

Say hello to "Craftsman," the new OPAC skin, a handsome rethinking of our
original interface!

Craftsman, underwritten by Georgia Public Library Service, will be available
for 1.4 by the time we head to Code4Lib (late February) so we can chat it up
while we're there and display it on our development server. It's already
live on our demo catalog -- though you need to know where to look:
http://demo.gapines.org/opac/en-US/skin/craftsman/xml/index.xml
Evergreen Webinars

**
Watch for a separate announcement on the lists and blogs, but due to popular
demand, there will be two free half-hour webinars in March available to
anyone who wants to attend:

*Introducing Craftsman*, *the new Evergreen OPAC* *skin*, Wednesday, March
4, 10 a.m. Eastern Time

*Understanding Open Source*, Wednesday, March 18, 10 a.m. Eastern
TimeSOLINET Rolls Out More Evergreen Training Classes

**

**SOLINET continues to offer free online Evergreen demos! The next one is
March 31st (11am-noon).These free demos provide overviews of Evergreen's
popular features and gives participants a chance to ask questions in a
training environment.

SOLINET also offers three fee-based online classes on Evergreen modules. All
class times are Eastern Standard:

*Evergreen Circulation*: OPAC searching, navigating the staff client,
creating and maintaining patron accounts, using tools and options, check
in/check out and other circulation procedures such as creating and
maintaining holds. Offered March 31st (2-4pm).

*Evergreen Cataloging*: This is now a 2-day class that covers creating,
editing and merging records; transferring items; using buckets; and
importing/exporting records. Offered March 24th-25th (10am-noon).

*Evergreen Local Administration and Statistics: *A more advanced class that
covers configuring Evergreen locally, setting user permissions, creating
templates for printing receipts and running reports. Offered March
25th(10am-noon).

To register for SOLINET's Evergreen training (including the free demo), just
visit Solinet's Educational Services Registration website at
http://www.solinet.net/Classes%20and%20Events/Class%20Registration.aspx
 For questions, contact SOLINET trainers Jennifer Bielewski and Jenny
Liberatore, 1-800-999-8558 or jbielewski at solinet.net

Documentation UpdateThe Evergreen Indiana project has updated its
already-excellent cataloging documentation:

http://www.in.gov/library/3381.htm

Also, the Evergreen community has been exploring a documentation proposal.
Have thoughts? Chime in!

http://list.georgialibraries.org/pipermail/open-ils-documentation
/2009-January/000137.html

 Evergreen in the Czech Republic

* *

On 20th January 2009 Vaclav Jansa and Linda Skolkova presented
Evergreen(with a special emphasis on their work on its localization to
Czech) at the
2nd IKI conference in Prague. It was the first Evergreen presentation to a
larger group of LIS professionals and professionals from related fields in
the Czech Republic. The IKI (Information, Competitiveness, Innovation)
conference, organized by Czech Information Society, c.a., and the
Instituteof Information
Studies and Librarianship, Faculty of Arts, Charles University, Prague, Czech
Republic, took place on the premises of Charles University in Prague and was
attended by 120 participants. Online proceedings (consisting mostly of
presentations) are available at the conference website at
http://www.cisvts.cz/default.asp?ch=500&typ=1&val=87692&ids=3444 (in Czech
only).
 Evergreen on Facebook

Evergreen has a Facebook group at the not-so-mnemonic address of
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6396639614 . We are now posting events
to this group, such as the Evergreen conference and the ALA Midwinter
get-together, as well as press releases for new Evergreen libraries and
systems and other related news. The group has over 250 members. If you're on
Facebook, join our group. If you aren't on Facebook and you don't think
you're the Facebook "type," give it a try. You might be surprised by who's
on Facebook!
 A Few Reminders

*Webinars and videos*: Don't forget the section on the Evergreen wiki devoted
to community-contributed documentation and
tutorials<http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=community_tutorials>,
now featuring more videos from Innisfil Library.

Evergreen also has a Flickr set and Delicious bookmarks:

Delicious: http://delicious.com/evergreenils

Flickr (see OLA pictures!): http://flickr.com/photos/evergreen-ils/

New Evergreen Libraries: Welcome Aboard!

Below are the newest Evergreen libraries — the Evergreen installations known
to have taken place since our last newsletter in mid-January. Quite a batch!
Also see the growing list of Evergreen libraries at:

http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen_libraries

 *Evergreen Indiana:*

Hamilton North Public Library
Ladoga Clark Public Library
North Webster Library
Fulton County Public Library

*British Columbia SITKA: *

Salmo & Rossland Libraries

*Single Sites: *

National Weather Center Library, Norman, Oklahoma

If you'd like to follow along as libraries join the Evergreen community, you
can subscribe to the Equinox press release feed, which will announce most
known Evergreen implementations (or follow the Facebook group mentioned
above). The Equinox press release feed
<http://esilibrary.com/esi/news.rss>was recently tweaked to make it
easier to track and share the releases.

*Forthcoming Evergreen Libraries!*

Both King County Library System (in Washington State) and Natural Resources
Canada have signed contracts with Equinox. Welcome aboard!
 Newsletter Administrivia

Feel free to forward, share, etc.!

The deadline for the Evergreen newsletter is the last working day before the
first of the month… feel free to submit items earlier. The co-wranglers for
this newsletter are Karen Schneider, Equinox Community Librarian and John
Fink, Digital Technologies Development librarian at McMaster University.