[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Program Proposal Deadline Approaching for Evergreen Conference

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Tue Feb 17 08:47:52 EST 2009

We're seeing some excellent program proposals float in for the
first-ever Evergreen International Conference, May 20-22 2009 (see
http://solinet.net/evergreen), and yes, we are planning on two
half-day "hackfest" sessions on producing documentation. We've also
had some questions:

* How do I submit a program proposal? Answer: see the conference
program proposal web page:
http://solinet.net/Classes%20and%20Events/Evergreen%20International%20Conference/Call%20for%20Submissions.aspx
... we've kept it as simple as possible.

* When are program proposals due? Answer: 5 p.m. EST, March 2, 2009

* What level of audience? Answer: just about any level. The three
tracks for programs -- Admin, Tech, and Front Line -- ensure that
there is a place for any program.

* What category does my program go in? Answer: don't sweat that
detail. Just make a best-guess and if the program is a good match for
this year's conference, it will find a home.

* Can it be a panel discussion or presentation? Answer: absolutely!
Just remember these are 45-minute programs so you might want to keep
it to two or three panelists.

* What kind of setup will we have? Expect a computer projector and a
laptop (or bring your own laptop). We should have online access but
remember it's usually a smart idea to "can" your program so you aren't
completely reliant on online access.

* Does the program proposal need to match the conference theme,
"Branch out with Evergreen"? Answer: no, that's not necessary, all
ideas considered.

* How do I submit a lightning talk idea? Answer: you can submit in
advance (just send an email to events at evergreen-ils.org), but you can
also sign up at the conference. (Lightning talks are five-minute
presentations.)

* What about a hackfest idea? Answer: submit it like a proposal.

* What's a hackfest, anyway, and how long does it have to be? Answer:
a hackfest is a concentrated work effort on a special project and it
can range from a couple of hours to all day. Hackfests are
traditionally used for development -- but don't let that box you in.
You'll have a room, wifi access, tables, and a few hours to spend with
colleagues you might not normally get "f2f"-time with. Do you have a
usability project? Coding? Documentation? Testing? Want to hold an
advocacy camp? Here's your chance!

* I have other questions. Where can I ask them? Feel free to pose them
here on the list but you can also email events at evergreen-ils.org.

The Evergreen International Conference 2009 is jointly sponsored by
Equinox Software, Georgia Public Library Service, and SOLINET.