[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Open Source Webinar, 10 a.m. ET Wed. 3-18-09

Larry Stamm lstamm at mcbridebc.com
Tue Feb 17 12:59:55 EST 2009

Karen Schneider writes:
 > Unfortunately, the webinar software we use doesn't support Linux. When we
 > looked at webinar software, the products that reliably supported Linux and
 > had other key features were very expensive for the number of attendees we
 > need to support. (In fact, finding a product with good Mac support was a
 > price hurdle, as well, though we were determined to offer that much, at
 > least.)

I had to laugh at this: a webinar focusing on open source software
that will exclude users of the main open source operating system!  I
don't know squat about web conferencing, but surely there must be open
source alternatives out there for hosting webinars?

I think the mindset of looking at software as a "product" that is
purchased from and supported by outside organizations is one of the
main hurdles that OSS needs to overcome.  Think of open source more as
a collaboration between developers and users in the realm of the gift
economy, just as learners and teachers collaborate in the transmission
of knowledge as a gift.  It requires active participation from both
parties. The economic part arises out of the intrinsic usefulness of
the software (or knowledge).  Librarians are a big part of this gift
economy, but have been slow to extend that thinking to software for
some reason.

Cheers,
--
Larry Stamm, Network Administrator