[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Participate in annual library automation Perception Survey

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Fri Jan 2 11:26:27 EST 2009

Dear folks, over on the Evergreen blog, http://evergreen-ils.org/blog ,  I
just posted about the soon-to-close 2008 Perceptions Survey, produced by
library-automation industry pundit Marshall Breeding. I'm repeating it here
for those who don't follow the Evergreen blog.

The survey is here:

http://www.librarytechnology.org/blog.pl?ThreadID=91

Marshall's 2007 survey
<http://www.librarytechnology.org/perceptions2007.pl>received "a total
of 1,779 individuals from 47 different countries." That's
a good start, but the new survey would benefit from higher turnout. While
the latest survey doesn't mention a due date, a conversation with Marshall
indicated that he would be *closing out the survey by mid-January* (as in,
two more weeks), so don't let this slide.

A strength of Marshall's survey is that it probes perceptions and attitudes
— not simply the opaque body count of who's using what, but the satisfaction
levels with products and services. This means that the Perceptions survey
can reach below the surface and pull up trends that may not be visible  —
such as libraries that may not be in a position to migrate to a new ILS
today or tomorrow, especially if they are distracted by the train wreck of
our current economy, *but are strongly considering open source software in
the future*.

Happy New Year to all of us in the Evergreen community!  May our forests
grow!