[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] shared funding for Evergreen enhancement?

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 16:37:20 EST 2009

2009/1/21 Bryan Baldus <bryan.baldus at quality-books.com>:
<snip>
> Also, while wandering around the Demo-PINES related subjects, I came across "Vietnamese Conflict, 1961-1975" (after clicking the Aircraft carriers -- Flight decks related subject). However, when I attempt to use this as a subject search (as well as its updated heading "Vietnam War, 1961-1975"), I get zero results. Doing a keyword search on Vietnam War indicates that there are several records, including TCN ocm40835909, with "Vietnamese Conflict, 1961-1975." Also, looking at the relevant subjects, or doing a subject search on Vietnam, I don't see a listing of all of the various subdivisions under the main heading of Vietnam, like $xForeign relations, $xPolitics and government, $xHistory, etc.

Try the same search on http://dev.gapines.org -
http://dev.gapines.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=subject&t=Vietnamese%20Conflict%2C%201961-1975&tp=subject&d=0&hc=104
and you get much better results.

I believe part of the reason for the improved results on
dev.gapines.org (which corresponds roughly to what people will see in
the 1.4.0.0 release) is that we're now using transforms from MARC21 to
MODS 3.2 instead of MODS 2 for index and display purposes.

As an aside that gets us back to the original request from Ruth - in
Evergreen 1.4, at least, it looks like most of the series information
is collected by the conversion to MODS 3.2 and is already coming back
to the OPAC in the POST request to
open-ils.search.biblio.record.mods_slim.retrieve. rdetail.xml and
rdetails.js would need to be tweaked to display series information in
the detailed record if present. This would give you at least a rough
approximation of what you're asking for; looking at the XSLT, it would
probably give you more information, which could be a good or bad
thing.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University