[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Books only coming up by TCN

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 12:22:28 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Dan Scott<denials at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you pull up the record, get the record number, and try reingesting
> it based on the record number?
>
> We've seen a similar (might be the same) problem (PostgreSQL 8.3,
> Evergreen almost 1.6) and wrote a simple script that tries to reingest
> any records for which there are no corresponding
> metabib.keyword_field_entry entries on a regular basis.
>
> The problem in our case seems to be with the
> reporter.simple_rec_sync() function finding a duplicate ID, which
> theoretically shouldn't happen. Some sort of a race condition,
> probably. It's quite annoying. And a related concern is that once a
> record has been ingested, once it has been edited there's no guarantee
> (while this problem exists) that the edited record will be reingested
> and have the updates reflected in the index.
>
> The script we run on an hourly basis is
> http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS-Contrib/browser/conifer/trunk/tools/reingest_uningested.pl

If up-to-the-minute reporting with data from the materialized
simple-record view is not needed, and instead you just need, say,
nightly reports of the previous days cataloging, you could simply
disable the trigger:

  SELECT reporter.disable_materialized_simple_record_trigger();

and then, every night from cron, after the cataloging department
closes, run these (in this order):

    SELECT reporter.enable_materialized_simple_record_trigger();
    SELECT reporter.disable_materialized_simple_record_trigger();

That will refresh a static view of the data from a nightly snapshot,
but avoid the batch of updates that occurs every time a record is
updated, which seems to be the cause of the ingest issue.

If anyone would like to put some eyes on those stored procedures, they
live in Open-ILS/src/sql/Pg/reporter-schema.sql.  The most relevant on
is  reporter.simple_rec_sync() ... I'd appreciate someone taking a
look.

--miker

--
Mike Rylander