[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Yaz refuses to install

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 10:37:55 EDT 2009

2009/6/9  <makekee at msu.ac.zw>:
> Hi
>
> Using the automatic prerequisite installer, yaz refuses to install after i run
> the command sudo make -f Makefile.install ubuntu as described in the document
> http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=server_installation:debian_gentoo_ubuntu_prerequisites_makefile
>  at point number 6.
>
> Terminal just returns :
>
> Reading state information... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Building tag database... Done
> if [ ! -d yaz-3.0.36 ]; then wget
> http://evergreen-ils.org/~denials/yaz/yaz-3.0.36.tar.gz; fi;
> --14:28:28--  http://evergreen-ils.org/~denials/yaz/yaz-3.0.36.tar.gz
>           => `yaz-3.0.36.tar.gz'
> Resolving evergreen-ils.org... 209.168.247.198
> Connecting to evergreen-ils.org|209.168.247.198|:80... failed: Connection timed
> out.
> Retrying.
>
> --14:31:38--  http://evergreen-ils.org/~denials/yaz/yaz-3.0.36.tar.gz
>  (try: 2) => `yaz-3.0.36.tar.gz'
> Connecting to evergreen-ils.org|209.168.247.198|:80...
>

> It goes on and on like this.Is there another way?

Hmm, that command works from here. You could try getting
http://evergreen-ils.org/~denials/yaz/yaz-3.0.36.tar.gz with a Web
browser; or downloading the source from
http://ftp.indexdata.dk/pub/yaz/

Or, depending on which operating system you're running, you could get
the libyaz3 and libyaz3-dev packages from
http://ftp.indexdata.dk/pub/yaz/ and install them ( dpkg -i
libyaz3_3.0.46-1indexdata_amd64.deb
libyaz3-dev_3.0.46-1indexdata_amd64.deb ) without having to compile
them. I haven't tried the indexdata-provided packages, but if you have
to go with that approach then you'll need to modify the
Makefile.install file to not try to install yaz - just remove the
"install_yaz" phrase from the target for your operating system. For
example, for Debian Etch you would change the line:

etch: install_pgsql_client_debs_81 install_yaz install_cpan_marc

to:

etch: install_pgsql_client_debs_81 install_cpan_marc

It's strange that you can't download the package in the first place,
but I hope these potential workarounds help.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University