[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Copy bucket problems

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Thu Jun 25 16:37:53 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Chris Caughey<CCaughey at jessup.edu> wrote:
> Consequently, that bucket has ended up with almost 550
> items.  But when I went to Edit Item Attributes for all those items in the
> “Logos” bucket, not only did the client slow to less than a snail’s pace,
> but then I would get the following error when it finally responded:

Hi Chris, the Item Attribute Editor just isn't scalable for batch
editing hundreds of items in one shot (everything happens
client-side), unless you happen to have a very beefy machine and
network.  We want to implement server-side batch editing
(affectionately called "meat grinders") for buckets, but there hasn't
been any push or resources for it yet.

For now, I would suggest using multiple buckets with smaller payloads,
and/or get a DBA to do batch edits directly in the database.  Or lobby
for meat grinders. :)

--
Jason Etheridge