[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen conference

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Mon Mar 16 08:46:09 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 8:33 AM, Jillian Lashmett <
jlashmet at cumberland.lib.nc.us> wrote:

>  I have a question about the evergreen conference. I’m interested in
> learning more about Evergreen, would the conference be appropriate for me,
> or is it primarily for folks who already use it? Will there be enough basic
> sessions to make it worth my while, and my $125 plus travel. My library
> won’t pay for it because it have nothing to do with my current position.

This is an excellent question! There are a number of programs on the
conference line-up for people who are new to Evergreen and want to learn
more about it.

Here's the wiki page with the program track:

http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=eg09:events#programs

Of these 18 programs, I would say everything in the "Admin" track is
particularly useful for people considering Evergreen (or even just
considering open source), while the first program on the "Frontline Staff"
track, PINES: *Evergreen: Easy to Learn, Easy to Use (presented by Dawn Dale
from the PINES help desk), is also an excellent introduction to how
Evergreen works.

Of course, for attendees with a more technical bent, the programs on the
Technology track are useful "introductions" as well. But I'm assuming you
want a high-level view of what Evergreen is, how it works, and what you need
to know if you're thinking of moving to open source software in general and
Evergreen specifically. Some of the most well-informed minds in the
Evergreen community are sharing their expertise at this conference -- I hope
we get bloggers and tweeters to help us track the sessions!
*

Does that help?