[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Will the "coding hackfest" survey submissions be made available?

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Mon May 18 22:02:31 EDT 2009

Dan, I will try to answer your question(s) clearly. Please let me know
if this works for you.

1. Submissions for the hackfest. Out  of 84 survey responses, there
were only three entries for hackfest suggestions, probably because the
survey question was phrased to measure interest (since the committee
was being careful with allocating resources), not tease out the
topics. The question was: "Check off any or all of these proposed
hackfests (or brainfests!) you might participate in on May 20."

There were four suggestions the survey offered for "hackfests or brainfests":

Half-day, high-level documentation discussion
"Meet with a Developer" (half-hour time slots)
Half-day Sysadmin Survival Skills
Hands-on coding ("Classic Hackfest")

Then there was a comment box to add other ideas. Of the two relevant
submissions (one was an offtopic comment), one was "hooking into
Evergreen"--which feels consonant with the other ideas as a
high-level, half- or full-day sort of project. Then there was one
submission that wasn't clear it was a list of specific coding ideas:

"Back to the server: an accessible, crawlable, functional catalog
(with AJAX as a bonus instead of an essential core) !FAIL: build a
regression testing framework Stacking added content a la Ümläüt Me
talk LDAP one day ISBN10/ISBN13 equivalence NOW More than MARC:
indexing & searching other formats M8K3.MY C8LL numbers (L355)
abnormal! House of the RISing sun: native export to RefWorks et al
ruby.push "OpenSRF" <?php echo "OpenSRF"; ?>"

I think there was a suggestion in your post that in future conferences
the conference find a means to collectively discuss hackfest ideas
(and as someone who is not a developer I would expand that to include
the "anyfest" concept). This is a really good idea (the mailing lists
feel appropriate for that, yes?) and I would add that the Evergreen
wiki already has a place for suggestions for next year's conference.
We will also survey attendees after the conference but please don't
hesitate to add your ideas.

Regarding the time, the idea that the hackfest might reasonably start
later than 9 came from a couple of developers who commented to me that
they didn't really expect to get started at 9. But we have a crew on
site tomorrow working hard to make sure the resources are
appropriately configured and available at 9, and then it will be up to
individuals to be there or not as their body clocks determine. Does
that work for you?

| Karen G. Schneider
| Community Librarian
| Equinox Software Inc. "The Evergreen Experts"
| Toll-free: 1.877.Open.ILS (1.877.673.6457) x712
| kgs at esilibrary.com
| Web: http://www.esilibrary.com
| Be a part of the Evergreen International Conference, May 20-22, 2009!
| http://www.lyrasis.org/evergreen

Does this work for you?