[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Interesting proposal about approachingEvergreengovernance

Jonathan Rochkind jonathan at dnil.net
Fri May 22 17:07:04 EDT 2009

On May 22, 2009, at 10:37 AM, Jason Stephenson wrote:

> I am, of course, assuming a traditional users' group along the lines
> of CODI (of which my employer is still a member) where the users
> prioritize development goals and request feature enhancements. That
> kind of arrangement doesn't work in open source unless there is
> already some foundation setup with whom the users' group can
> coordinate.
>
> However, if that users' group is composed of the people contributing
> to the project with code, time, money, and other resources, then it
> might work, but after a while it would likely need some corporate
> structure in the form of a foundation.

A user's group like CODI has corporate structure, CODI is
incorporated.  What's the difference between what something called a
'foundation' supplies with it's corporate structure, and what
something called a "user's group" supplies with it's corporate
structure?

I don't know if it matters what you call it, but I wonder if there's
really a need for two different incorporated entities (a  user's group
AND a foundation?) instead of just one.  Unless one is meant to
respresent the active developers and contributors, and another is
meant to represent the user's who may not be contributors/developers,
and you think two different entities are necessary to adequately
represent both those interests.

Jonathan