[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Interesting proposal about approachingEvergreengovernance

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Fri May 22 22:35:58 EDT 2009

> I don't know if it matters what you call it, but I wonder if there's really
> a need for two different incorporated entities (a  user's group AND a
> foundation?) instead of just one.  Unless one is meant to respresent the
> active developers and contributors, and another is meant to represent the
> user's who may not be contributors/developers, and you think two different
> entities are necessary to adequately represent both those interests.
>
> Jonathan

It is possible to imagine a structure where there is a foundation with a
board, and the board has one member who is also the liaison to the users'
group (or is simply an emissary from that group). The users' group would
then aggregate and prioritize development issues and convey this to the
foundation through the liaison. This would allow the users' group to be as
simple or complex as it needed to be without complicating the governance of
the foundation. But it would also put the foundation (through the liaison)
in the active role of engaging with development entities (communities,
vendors, etc.) to give these priorities an audience and see them realized
(which is also a less neutral role than other models). That isn't a bad
thing, and any structure would require some kind of function like that. It's
just a caution. Note that we can put all the models in place that we like,
but we will still need to find a really good working mechanism for the
"voice of the community" to be heard.