[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] [OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Licensing for Evergreen Documentation - Call for Input

Karen Collier kcollier at kent.lib.md.us
Wed Nov 4 13:35:10 EST 2009

That sounds like an excellent idea. Working on it. Any other thoughts from anyone in the meantime?

Thanks,
Karen

----- "Karen Schneider" <kgschneider at gmail.com> wrote:
> My take would be to ask Fedora why they weren't bugged by that, but that's just me. ;)
>
> Karen G. Schneider
>

> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Karen Collier < kcollier at kent.lib.md.us > wrote:
>

> The Free Software Foundation wrote (at http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html ):
> Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 2.0 license (a.k.a. CC-BY-SA)

This is a copyleft free license that is good for artistic and entertainment works, and educational works. Please don't use it for software or documentation, since it is incompatible with the GNU GPL and with the GNU FDL. I don't believe they go into any more detail on why it's incompatible. Any guesses?

> Thanks,
> Karen

> ----- "Steve Wills" < steve.wills at lyrasis.org > wrote:

I agree that of the licenses we looked at CCSA seemed to make me feel the happiest, a most subjective argument, I know. I am curious what the argument is that supports CCSA being incompatible with GPL’ed software?

If it is merely a concern about snippets of code being re-licensed, couldn’t a disclaimer cover that? “snippet reprinted for documentation purposes only, all GPL restrictions apply?” etc. etc.

Stev3

p.s. hi KGS J