[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Importing holdings using MARC importer/exporter

Francene Lewis Flewis at calvin.edu
Mon Nov 23 17:00:41 EST 2009

We're a new Evergreen site working on coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to understand how to import holdings information.  We use OCLC Connexion with the WorldCat cataloging partners program and in the past have had our vendor create holdings information for us in the 949 field.  I understand that Evergreen uses the 999 field and have found the following subfield definitions in the documentation.
999
m - owning library
l - location
a - call number
t - circulation modifier
i - barcode
p - price
k - status
c - copy

1. Do these fields have to follow this formation or is there another pattern that must be followed (alphabetical?)?
For example,
999   |m info |l info |a call number etc.

2. Does each subfield need to be included in the field?

3. Does the info need to be input in all caps  or as a code?

4. Any other information on owning library, location, circulating library would be most welcome.

My impression has been that many libraries just use the Z39.50 tool and don't use the Importer/exporter as much.  For our workflow, however, I really like to batch as much as possible if we can get it to work.
Thanks for the help,

Francene Lewis, Cataloging Librarian
Hekman Library
1855 Knollcrest Circle SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49546-4402
Email: flewis at calvin.edu
(616) 526-6308
"It is the first duty of a flagging spirit to seek
renewal in the latitudes of whimsy."
Benjamin Franklin