[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Z39.50 Searching

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Mon Oct 12 12:21:58 EDT 2009

2009/10/12 Hardy, Elaine <ehardy at georgialibraries.org>:
> Jason and Don,
>
> I just recreated it here.  I was able to correctly re-execute the search
> after closing and reopening the  z39.50 interface. I did not have to close
> the entire client. I will test with other title/author and ISBN combinations
> to see if it holds true for others.

In my case - trunk - I was able to search LoC and get results by
updating the truncation attribute from a value of '0' (the default in
Evergreen for attributes) to '1' (to correspond to the LoC-supported
values of '1' and '100' as documented at
http://www.loc.gov/z3950/lcserver.html#trua).

The required SQL was:

UPDATE config.z3950_attr SET truncation = 1 WHERE source = 'loc';

Then I shut everything down, wiped my staff client profile, started
everything back up, and did a successful fresh search of LoC.

This is consistent with what I see in yaz-client:

$ yaz-client z3950.loc.gov:7090/Voyager
Connecting...OK.
Sent initrequest.
Connection accepted by v3 target.
ID     : 34
Name   : Voyager LMS - Z39.50 Server (YAZ Proxy)
Version: 2006.5.2/1.2.1.1
Elapsed: 0.130327
Z> find @attr 1=1003 @attr 4=6 @attr 5=0 "trudeau"
Sent searchRequest.
Received SearchResponse.
Search was a bloomin' failure.
Number of hits: 0
records returned: 0
Diagnostic message(s) from database:
    [120] Unsupported Truncation attribute -- v2 addinfo '0'
Elapsed: 0.053904
Z> find @attr 1=1003 @attr 4=6 @attr 5=1 "trudeau"
Sent searchRequest.
Received SearchResponse.
Search was a success.
Number of hits: 218
records returned: 0
Elapsed: 0.390965

Soooo, we'll want to add the accepted truncation value to the 950 seed
data for LoC. This is probably required for 1.6 if the corresponding
changes from trunk were backported, yes? In which case, I guess we
won't need to create upgrade scripts as the base data will be correct
as of 1.6.0.0.

Dan