[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] [OPEN-ILS-DEV] ***SPAM*** Bug reporting (was: Evergreen Release Candidate 1.6.0.0RC1 is available)

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 11:19:44 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 15:08 -0400, Grace Dunbar wrote:
>> The Evergreen development team is pleased to announce the immediate
>> availability of  Evergreen 1.6.0.0RC1.
>
> I'm very glad to hear it's out, although as one of the members of the
> development team, I'm also a little surprised by the announcement. There
> hasn't been any discussion about releasing 1.6 on the dev list for quite
> some time. Was there a recent discussion on IRC that I missed in the
> logs?

No, you didn't.  Based on discussions earlier this summer and promises
to the general community to get it out ASAP I went forward with
cutting the release.  As you know, I ran into some stumbling blocks
trying to get the release built, but with those mostly ironed out I
figured that the general blessing from before still stood.  I'm sorry
if there's a sense that I overstepped on that, but I was working from
what I believed to be a consensus position -- that 1.6.0.0 was as done
as it could be and needed to get out the door yesterday.

>> 1.6.0.0RC1 is a release candidate and, while we encourage our clients
>> and community with test servers download this version to test, we do
>> not endorse putting 1.6.0.0RC1 directly into production.  The bug
>> reporting window for 1.6.0.0RC1 will open on September 14, 2009 and
>> close on October 2, 2009.
>
> Okay, so we are trying out a form of time-based releases then? Cool.

Well ... more on that in your "Rethinking" thread.  Please bear with
me ... we are in violent agreement on many things related to releases,
not least of which is freeing me from being the only one capable of
doing them (and, in fact, automating them).

However, the 1.6.0.0RC1 release is not, in my mind, a time-based
release like you're thinking (I think...).  To me it's just like any
of our previous releases, but with your requested RC moniker.
Hopefully we can solicit more feedback than normal (NOTE: it seems we
already have, YAY!) and also (next up) give translators a chance to
polish things for all the new strings in 1.6.  I'd be happy to
"officially" make the i18n request to the community, but since you've
traditionally done so please feel free to.  Either way, that's next up
in my mind.

I'm very happy to see your re-emergence.  Perhaps that's the wrong way
to put it, but I've been actively trying to leave you alone during
your hiatus, so that's how I see it in my head, at least.  And again,
I'm sorry for any offense ... it's only in the last week or so that
I've seen you on the lists or IRC (and we keep missing each other in
IRC), and since I viewed 1.6.0.0 as "just another release" (and having
been convinced to treat it as an RC, at that), none was intended.

--miker