[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Original cataloging: the produced TCN does not seem to follow MARC

Repke de Vries repke at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 22 08:43:10 EDT 2009

We are evaluating with Evergreen 1.4  and testing  "first" or
"original" cataloging where our library & archive has unique material
and is the first in the world to catalogue.  Here is for example how
our template looks like for cataloging audio material:   http://
screencast.com/t/mM0HJcEgY

In MARC field 040 [1] in the template we pass on to Evergreen  "who
we are" as Cataloging Source: AmISG

Cataloging finished we expected Evergreen to
- construct a Title Control Number (TCN) starting with AmISG and
followed by some unique sequential number;
- to create a MARC 001 field [2]  holding that  concatenated string
"AmISG" "unique number"

What we observe is:
- "AUTO-GENERATED" instead of "AmISG", followed by a unique number
- there is no 001 field created at all; instead - only visible after
exporting the record: a 900 of Evergreen's choice:
901  \\$aAUTOGENERATED-11$bAUTOGEN$c20

Is there any Evergreen setting we forgot to look at ? Should we add a
003 field with "AmISG" to our cataloging templates ?

Surely Evergreen can do original cataloging according to MARC ?

(TCN-s already present in MARC 001 when pre-cataloging or importing
existing records are handled fine)
(I know from a question on this list by UPEI in Canada that the
string AUTO-GENERATED can be changed but that leaves the lacking
automatic 001 field generation)

Thanks, Repke, IISH

[1] http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd040.html
[2] http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd001.html