[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Phone Conference for Evergreen Users

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Tue Sep 22 15:52:29 EDT 2009

If by barcode you mean the ISBN/UPC/EAN barcode on some books -- ISBNs are not what we call matching points. Publishers can and do re-use ISBNs so using them to match is fraught with peril. Also, MARC records can have multiple ISBNS or no ISBNs. Not all books have that barcode, although their may be an ISBN elsewhere (verso of title page, for example).

There are multiple sources of MARC records, some free, some costly. The Library of Congress (LC or DLC) has a website for Z39.50 access to their and other library catalogs at http://www.loc.gov/z3950/. One of the problems you may encounter with many of these sources, including LC is that the collections will not be geared to K-12, so you may not find matching records to the title in your collection.

There are also MARC21 documentation at the LC website -- http://www.loc.gov/marc/ as well as at OCLC's -- http://www.oclc.org/bibformats/

Your really need basic cataloging training before you understand how to add records to the system. It isn't necessary for the trainer to know Evergreen. But you need to understand what you are looking at in order to be able to assess the best method to input records into a bibliographic database in Evergreen for your libraries. If you have not done so, you could try your state library in Minnesota to see if there is someone there could help. I can try to answer some of your questions off list or even over the phone, but I think we will be able to get just so far in either of those methods.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES Bibliographic Projects & Metadata Manager
Georgia Public Library Service
1800 Century Place, Ste 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304

404.235-7128