[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Input Needed: Drupal project for evergreen-ils.org (Roma Matott)

Joe Atzberger jatzberger at esilibrary.com
Thu Sep 24 12:18:40 EDT 2009

> Are there modules that we want to use?  What version of Drupal do they work
>> with?
>>
>> Go with 6 for sure. 7 will be more refined (particularly from an admin and
> content-maintainer perspective) but it just went into code freeze. I don't
> plan on migrating any of the complex sites I maintain to 7 for a good year
> from now, when the major community-contributed modules will likely be ready.

Yeah, despite the coolness of rapid growth and new modules, Drupal upgrades
continue to be a pain point.  A major version Drupal upgrade is more like a
migration to a totally new system.  Inevitably, some of your favorite
components will not keep pace, or will change functionality, or will lose
their settings from the previous version.  But of course you are enticed by
the "must have" modules that don't have any backports and are only available
in the newer versions.

In practice, none of the Drupal sites I've been around have survived an
upgrade entirely intact.  (I'm just as happy not to have been admining any
of them.)  That explains waiting a year to move to newer code.

--joe