[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] how to copy-and-paste marc tag with subfields from other software?

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Mon Sep 28 13:33:19 EDT 2009

Hello. I want to have a workflow that involves having student assistants
who write up 505 formatted notes fields, using the $t and $r subfields,
in email and send them to our copy cataloguer for copy-and-pasting into
the appropriate record. The intent is to not have the students
assistants have access to the full cataloguing client, for training and
record integrity reasons, but not to make the copy cataloguer have to
copy and paste every single subfield of a long table of contents piece
by piece.

Is there any way to do this? Obviously, using a literal $ character
won't work. Is there any character that could be used in email, either
directly or in a binary attachment like a Word document, that would?

If not, are there any plans for upcoming versions to improve on the
"whole field" copy and paste functionality including this problem of
handling subfield markers?

Thanks!

---
Melissa Belvadi
Emerging Technologies & Metadata Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island
mbelvadi at upei.ca
902-566-0581