[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] local install for testing

Bryan Baldus bryan.baldus at quality-books.com
Wed Apr 14 12:59:10 EDT 2010

I've begun attempting to use the VirtualBox images posted on the Evergreen Downloads page <http://www.open-ils.org/downloads.php>. If I remember correctly (it's been a few weeks), the image "Evergreen 1.6.0.1, Debian 5.0 (Lenny)" had some issues starting up (disk read error messages?--text scrolled for a while before finally getting to a prompt; I believe that was after choosing the single-user option, after the multiple-user option stopped after a brief period of time). I had better luck with an earlier-downloaded 1.4-era version. I was able to get logged-in and to the desktop, but the lack of icons and my almost complete unfamiliarity with Linux stumped me for a few months. A few weeks ago, I finally worked my way to being able to get the networking working (it was able to see the Internet and I was able to get my Windows Vista host (2008 laptop, Core2Duo, 2 GB; graphics a little slow at first, but overall not terrible) to connect to the Evergreen server (via the OPAC/Web browser). I then began attempting to upgrade to 1.6, which I figure I'll get back to finishing the attempt at some point in the future (I believe the Linux OS wanted to restart unexpectedly on me while I was doing something, and I didn't have time at the time to go back through the steps to complete the process of upgrading). Once I return to working on getting it upgraded and working, I'm also hoping to install something that allows me to see the directories as icons, to reduce the need to use the terminal.

Thank you for your time,

Bryan Baldus
Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.