[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Volcanic trouble

Afelonne Doek ado at iisg.nl
Mon Apr 19 05:19:24 EDT 2010

Hi everybody,

Here we are, behind our desks at the International Institute of Social History, instead of being up in the air on our way to Grand Rapids...

As you may have heard, there  has been an eruption of the Eyjafjallajökull-volcano in Iceland, causing ash clouds over the North Atlantic. These clouds are resulting in the closure of all European airports and the cancellation of thousands of flights worldwide since last Thursday April 14th. Our flight has also been cancelled and the first available flights are expected on Friday, so there is no way we can attend.

Therefore no Evergreen conference for the Dutch! For consolation we have already eaten all the stroopwafels, drop and Wilhelmina peppermints we bought to share with you at the conference.

We are really sorry to miss all the interesting talks, workshops and opportunities to meet the Evergreen community and are hoping that we can get as much information as possible that is going to be shared and presented at the conference.

Besides meeting the developers and other Evergreen users we were looking forward to attend a lot of sessions.

We would really appreciate it if presentation slides or other material could be send to us, and maybe if presentations are being taped we can see that online.

Written down below are sessions we were and are still especially interested in:

-       Authority roundtable (Hackfest: Shea Tetteron)

-       Slinging Data: Data loading and Cleanup in Evergreen (Galen Charlton)

-       So can I change the code? (Kate Sheehan)

-       Evergreen Acquisitions Roundup (Bill Erickson)

-       The lifecycle of an OSRF Request (Scott McKellar)

-       Getting there from here (Cheryl Gould)

-       My brain 'urts! Or Evergreen SQL 101 (Mike Rylander)

-       Migration and Training: Preparing your Data and your staff for Transition to Evergreen (Sally Fortin and Shea Tetteron)

-       Managing Serials with Evergreen (Steven Putt and Daniel Wells)

-       Each One Train One (Jennifer Bielewski and Jenny Liberatore)

Not being able to attend the conference faces us with the challenge how to continue our work on Evergreen.

Of course we still intend to put resources and work into enhancements (Authorities, Record id, Serials...) and having Evergreen as our new library system up and running by the end of 2010.

Right now we are discussing the possible other options to meet EG developers. Any suggestions?

Kind regards,

Afelonne, Marjolein and Ole

International Institute of Social History

Afelonne Doek

Senior Information Analist

International Institute of Social History

Postbus 2169, 1000 CD Amsterdam

Visiting address: Cruquiusweg 31, 1019 AT Amsterdam

Tel: +31 20 66 858 66

ado at iisg.nl

www.iisg.nl <http://www.iisg.nl/>