[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen Conference - Reports Roundtable, One Attendee's Recordings

Amy Terlaga terlaga at biblio.org
Tue Apr 27 12:22:47 EDT 2010

Hi all-

I thought I'd share some of my notes from the Evergreen conference held last
week in Grand Rapids.

These are my notes from the Reports Roundtable meeting on Day 1 of the
conference.  (I was not the official note taker so keep that in mind as you
read through these.)

Thanks to Anoop Atre and Jenny Turner from PALS for moderating this
discussion.

Reports Roundtable Meeting

Equinox has finished writing a core set of canned reports that they will
contribute to the Evergreen community.  Galen Charlton will work on creating
a report import/export utility to make it easy for library sites to bring
them in/out of their individual Evergreen systems.  Right now it's a command
line SQL utility.

The group agreed that we need a centralized place to share Evergreen
reports, both SQL and Evergreen module-driven.  There is a wiki page on the
open-ils website right now, but it is very basic, sparse, and not organized.
We need a roadmap as to how to add descriptions to reports.

Galen explained that on top of the postgres database there is a database
access layer that the reports module uses.  Equinox will be adding a query
server so that you can do joins through the Evergreen reports module.  Right
now you can create database source definitions to this data access layer
that would allow you to do joins.

It would be nice to have more documentation on the various tables to help in
the creation of reports.  An entity relationship diagram would be useful.
There is currently a list of the database schema on the docuwiki.

A reports taskforce will be created to establish a framework for a reports
wiki.  I have volunteered to be on this taskforce.  This taskforce will work
with DIG (Documentation Interest Group) on this.  We need to create broad
categories and sub-categories to organize the report submissions, both SQL
and template reports.

Amy

=======================

Amy Terlaga