[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] SIP and time management software

Melissa Lefebvre mlefebvre at biblio.org
Wed Aug 18 12:49:08 EDT 2010

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone out in the community use any sort of time management and
printing software with Evergreen?  Currently, our libraries use a program
called LibraryMetricks (www.librarymetricks.com
<http://www.librarymetricks.com/> ) in which a patron enters their library
barcode and they get authenticated and allowed access to the computer's
desktop, the program then counts down their time remaining (usually 1 hour).
The other aspect of this program is printing.  Patrons buy a certain number
of pages to print, get a special code and then have to enter this code in
order to print any page.

My other question is if there is a way to configure the Evergreen SIP with
further blocking instructions.  For instance Library A doesn't allow patrons
who have 3 overdue items to use their computer but they will allow them to
check out books, where as Library B doesn't want patrons who have 6 overdue
items and 1 lost to use their computers but they still may allow them to
check out books.  Right now, LibraryMetricks only checks on barcode, fine
limit, and borrower type and SirsiDynix's Horizon is then configured for
various SIP ports that will block on overdue and lost which might be
different then the library's circulation policy.  Is there a way to achieve
this same sort of thing the way Evergreen and SIP work now?  Is there a
better program out there that will do what we need it to do?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

-Melissa

Melissa S. Lefebvre

Open Source Project Manager