[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Aged Circulation?

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Sat Dec 4 10:20:53 EST 2010

Quoting Martha Driscoll <driscoll at noblenet.org>:

> It sounds like statistical categories are a much broader concept,
> more like a custom field with no assumptions about what kind of data
> users may choose to store.  In that case, I can see the reluctance
> to store that information in the aged_circulation table.  I think
> there may still be a role for a more narrowly defined statistical
> category that is retained in cases where aging the circulation table
> is desired or mandated.

This discussion makes me think that perhaps a custom table in
extend_reporter might be appropriate with triggers to include certain
statistics by user stat_cats. At least this way, it would be a custom
table and the systems using it would know that they are using it.

Our current ILS has something similar. I'll take a look at what it
does and we (Martha and I) can discuss this later. We're from two
consortia that are collaborating on some Evergreen things together
already.

My goal in doing this, though, would be something that could go in the
contrib repository and that anyone could then use. It would need to be
carefully designed so that different org_units could opt-in  and
possibly store different stat_cats, though all entries in a given
stat_cat would be recorded.

Cheers,
Jason Stephenson
MVLC