[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Details of fiscal sponsorship agreement for Evergreen & Conservancy

Jonathan Rochkind jonathan at dnil.net
Tue Dec 7 18:27:12 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> wrote:
> meeting, but don't see it in the minutes - did we agree to directing 10%
> of project revenues to the Conservancy...
> which would leave 90% of the conference proceeds to be

Do you really mean _revenues_?  That is not "proceeds", revenues means
10% of all the money you bring in.

That IS a standard way to handle 501-c-3 fiscal sponsorship, when it
comes to _donations_. Like if someone wants to donate $100 to
Evergreen, The Conservancy would get $10 of it. (Although 10% is
actually kinda high, 5%-8% might be more typical).

But I don't think that's probably what you want to do with a
_conference_, especially not _revenues_.  10% of conference revenues
to the Conservancy means you have to add 10% to your conference
budget, meaning 10% more sponsor money and/or registration fees, to
pay the Conservancy.  (Okay, not 10% more, but... um...  X more where
X * .9 = original, um, whatever that percent is).

You might want to make sure you're clear about this before you sign an
agreement.

Jonathan