[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Problems with the org chart

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Thu Dec 16 23:06:06 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 09:25:49PM -0600, John Morris wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 19:39 -0500, Sharp, Chris wrote:
>
> > Evergreen works this way because it was initially designed for PINES, in which this is the setup.  I'm honestly not sure what sorts of improvements have been added in the last couple of versions that might accommodate the setup you're looking for.
>
> Which wouldn't be a problem if a) It were known what the rules really
> are so I'd know what I have to settle for and b) if touching things
> weren't so fatal.  Kinda shaking my confidence in EG in general knowing
> there are user exposed controls that must be adjusted yet are one wrong
> mouse click from a 100% dead and unrecoverable installation.  And I
> haven't even started importing data yet.  I know Thou Shalt Make
> Backups, but this really kicks it up a notch.

Well - they're exposed, but you can't change anything if you don't have
the appropriate permissions (which require at least administrator
access) - unless you're talking about the config.cgi set of tools, which
are both heavily deprecated (even removed from 2.0) and which come with
a warning that they should be protected from access. For the new
age library hierarchy editing tools, I took away the required
permissions from everybody in our consortium on the day we went live and
one of our local administrators made their library a child of itself and
brought the system back down for a while. Heh.

So, given the readily available virtual images and the ability to
install as many copies of Evergreen wherever you want, the idea is that
you should be able to practice these steps and gain knowledge before you
go into production.

Yes, it's a pain point, but you set up the library hierarchy once and
then (if anything) just tweak it after that. Which is probably why
anyone who has got past that point hasn't done much in the way of
documenting what they did to get past that point. It would be great for
a whiz-bang perfect UI to drop from the heavens, too, but it's not on my
employer's priority list (we're live and investing in things we need),
and I suspect it's not on most library's list of things they're willing
to pay for or have their developers work on; they want customizations or
additional functionality that will help them every day after they go
live. But I do think a combination of documentation and possibly tool
tweaks would be a great investment for others interested in adopting
Evergreen.

> And it gets worse.  Ok, I'll accept a three level system, but is it
> possible to change the name of the Consortium from CONS?  Can it be

You don't need to accept a three level system - see
http://nws.evergreencatalog.com/ for an example. And the Consortium name
there is NWC
(http://nws.evergreencatalog.com/opac/common/js/en-US/OrgTree.js is one
of the files generated by autogen.sh)

> done?  I got really steamed a while ago and dug into
> Open-ILS/src/sql/Pg/950.data.seed-values.sql and tried having the system
> just initialize a different value instead of CONS.  build-db.sh ran
> normally and I could see the new default value in the web interface,
> however autogen.sh blew up same as if I had changed it post install.

It's too bad you waited this long to ask for help; there might be
something else going on in your configuration that we could help sort
out - have you told us what error message autogen.sh blows up with? Does
it blow up with a stock install of Evergreen?

Also, can you show us the contents of your actor.org_unit and
actor.org_unit_type tables?