[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Serials on 2.0 - a rookie question

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Wed Dec 29 10:56:40 EST 2010

Hello Michele,

If you are familiar with the 1.6 MFHD functionality, the "MFHD Holdings" menu option is the same thing, just accessible from the menu rather than as buttons within the OPAC (though those are still there). It allows direct access to editing one or more MFHD records associated with the current bib record.

The "Serial Control View" and "Alternate Serial Control" are two different editors for the same underlying (new-to-2.0) data and are therefore interchangeable when doing normal edits. A somewhat bigger difference exists between the "Batch" receiving interface and the "Items" tab in the "Serial Control View" (which is also meant primarily for receiving). Both allow for receiving "batches" of issues, but the "Batch" interface allows for more customization of each receiving unit, while the "Items" tab allows for for flexibility in creating multi-issue units, particularly (but not exclusively) as related to binding.

At this moment, the "Alternate" interface as fewer rough edges and better documentation, especially when doing initial setup, but both interfaces continue to be refined.

With so many different and sometimes competing needs concerning serials management, our primary goal at this point is to provide functionality and flexibility at the expense of some clarity. As long as the underlying data is fundamentally compatible (and it is), we will continue to work out interface kinks and overall best practices in future releases.

Thanks,
Dan

Daniel Wells, Library Programmer Analyst  dbw2 at calvin.edu
Hekman Library at Calvin College
616.526.7133
>>> Michele Montague 12/28/10 9:29 AM >>>

In 2.0, when you select a bib record and click "Actions for this
record", you see these choices (among others):

MFHD Holdings
Serial Control View
Alternate Serial Control

Do these all relate to the same serial control method? Or does
"Alternate Serial Control," for example, configure serial data in a
completely different way than MFHD Holdings?

I'm trying to decide which method to road-test for adding our serials.