[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Kids' Catalog Development - Secure Your Place at the Table!

Amy Terlaga terlaga at biblio.org
Wed Feb 10 12:18:57 EST 2010

Hi all-

The SITKA libraries in British Columbia (http://sitka.bclibraries.ca/) have
joined King County Library System and Bibliomation in our kids' catalog
development partnership.

We are just $2,500 shy of proceeding with the first two phases of the
project.  We will be working with the Seattle-based web design firm, FGI
(www.fgi.com <http://www.fgi.com/> ).  FGI has already been working with
King County to develop a new interface for the Evergreen adult catalog so
the opportunities for some really great synergy are definitely there.

Even if your library system can't commit to the full $2,500 (perhaps only
$1,000 is all you can swing right now, for instance), why not secure your
place at the development table in these first two exciting phases of this
project?

Here is the FGI outline of what is to come:

1)      Strategy and Scoping Phase

a.       Meeting and Project Review/Analysis - Working off the existing
specification document that your team has created, we will meet with the
partners to walk through the business objectives of the project and identify
all the areas of the project that need to be completed from a creative and
technical standpoint.

Deliverable: a) (2) virtual meetings to discuss the project at great length,
review ideas and scope out the project effectively. b) Requirements Document
outlining development updates needed to be completed by Equinox.

Timeline to Completion: 1-3 weeks

2)      Development of the Project Plan

a.       Similar to the KCLS project, the project plan defines the scope and
overall approach for work to be completed. It is important for planning,
assessing and executing the project with the appropriate teams at hand. It
will serve as the main document to reference in terms of project outcome,
resources, deliverables, timeline and budget.  This document can be
delivered to potential partners to better understand the breadth of the
project and allow them to make an educated decision on becoming involved.

Deliverable: a) a Project Charter document outlining the plan of the project
including deliverables, budget and timeline b) Project management and
interaction with Equinox to drive development aspects of the project.

Timeline for Completion: 2-4 weeks

If your library system is interested in joining our partnership, please
email me at terlaga at biblio.org.  I can send you our first list of wish list
features for the Evergreen kids' catalog, too.

Thanks!

Amy

=======================

Amy Terlaga