[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Cataloging questions

Mary Llewellyn mllewell at biblio.org
Fri Feb 26 08:18:40 EST 2010

At 10:13 PM 2/25/2010, you wrote:

> >  Since I use a different MARC editor than the one in Evergreen, I would
> find
> > it easier to improve records by loading a better version of the record,
> then
> > merging the two.  Is this possible?
>
>You should be able to force an overlay within MARC Batch
>Import/Export, but I'm not having any luck currently.  I believe there
>is development toward integrating with OCLC's Connexion client, and
>there's also a desire to integrate with Biblios, an open source MARC
>editor that some Koha users make use of.  Either of these routes
>should improve the situation some.  If you use Terry Reese's MARCEdit
>program, I know Mike had a prototype MARC editor widget going that
>could understand the MARC breaker format, which would allow you to
>just copy & paste from MARCEdit.
>
>Perhaps the easiest way to overlay records currently is through
>Z39.50.  You mark an incumbent record as an overlay target, and then
>choose MARC Editor for Overlay after picking a record from a Z39.50
>service.  However, the configuration of Z39.50 sources is done by
>server admins and can't be done ad-hoc by an end user, and I don't
>know of any easy to use desktop Z39.50 servers (would be nice if
>standalone MARC editors offered this, though).

It's important to us to be able to do overlays through the Vandelay batch
loader, much more efficient than doing a record by record overlay through
Z39.50. We frequently have CIP records in the database that we want to
upgrade by loading the improved versions in our batches. And we anticipate
doing clean up projects by exporting a group of records, using MarcEdit to
clean them up, and we want to be able to load them back in, just as the
original poster is doing. Please put us down as a vote for
improving/developing the Vandelay overlay capability.

Mary

Mary Llewellyn
Database Manager
Bibliomation, Inc.