[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Course Reserves and Semester Dates

Cynthia Williamson crwbookgirl at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 08:35:26 EST 2010

Hi Joan:
We use the marc record to create our Reserves at Mohawk. 506 is a field that
can be used to note restricted access (see:
http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd506.html).
We have 4 campus locations (Fennell, IAHS, STARRT & Brantford) so we add
that location e.g Fennell Reserves, and the instructor's name, course name &
code to the 506 - depending on how much detail the instructor provides, it's
all mandatory on the Reserves form but everyone knows how that goes :)
We've also created circ modifiers that are changed when the item goes on
reserve to change it to the appropriate reserve check out period. e.g.
1HOUR, 2HOUR, 1DAY, etc.
We also created a Reserves status (or perhaps we inherited this from
Unicorn??) but we're finding that this just causes confusion on the status
bar in the Record Summary (If an item is on Reserve, it doesn't show as
available even if it is on the Reserve shelf) so the plan is do away with
that status this summer.
Another step would be to put Reserves in book bags so that they can be
linked to on the OPAC search page (see Laurentian's catalogue, they've done
this), library homepage, LMSs etc.  Our students seem to just come to the
circ desk and ask for their course reserves so this wasn't a high priority
for us and circ and ref. staff find Reserves easier to find than they were
in Unicorn.  Reserves staff just use an excel spreadsheet for their
"housekeeping" & while that's separate, it's working just fine for us.

Here is a link to a list of our Fennell
Reserves<http://libcat.mohawkcollege.ca/opac/en-CA/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=keyword&tp=keyword&t=fennell%20reserves&l=1&d=0&f=>for
you to check re circ modifiers and marc records.

There is a Reserves module called Syrup in development, I'm not sure exactly
where they are, perhaps someone else could update you on that.
Hope this helps, happy to answer any other questions you might have. & I
would be happy to hear about other folk's solutions to this one.

As for semester cut off dates, I would think you can achieve this with your
hours of operation settings, they are very easy to set for holidays, etc.
I'm at home on my Mac Book without client access, I'll take a better look
when I'm back at work & if I can add more or no one else has provided a
better answer, I'll get back to you.

Cheers, Cynthia
Mohawk College
Hamilton, ON