[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] open source status

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Thu Jan 21 18:29:22 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Jesse Ephraim
<jephraim at roanoketexas.com> wrote:
> I heard a rumor today that further updates to official Evergreen
> releases will only be made available to libraries who do business with
> Equinox, making it less than a fully open source application.  I have
> never heard that before, and assume that the rumor is incorrect (perhaps
> a confusion of Evergreen/Equinox and Koha/LibLime), but wanted to
> double-check it here.
>
> Thanks!

Hi Jesse,

There's no truth to that, and we've already promised as much:
http://blog.esilibrary.com/2009/09/16/the-equinox-promise/

Besides, "official" is whatever the community decides is "official".
DIG is coming up with "official" documentation, and they're all
volunteers.  The Georgia Public Library Service does own the Evergreen
trademark, but I believe the plan there is transfer that to an
Evergreen foundation once one is formed.

Thanks for bringing it up!  Can't abide FUD.

--
Jason Etheridge
 | VP, Tactical Development
 | phone:  1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)
 | email:  jason at esilibrary.com
 | web:  http://www.esilibrary.com

Please join us for the Evergreen 2010 International Conference!
It is being held April 20 - 23, 2010 at the Amway Grand Hotel and
Convention Center, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
http://www.evergreen2010.org/