[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Spine Label Printers?

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Thu Jan 21 20:47:13 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 18:21 -0500, Jason Etheridge wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 6:06 PM, Jesse Ephraim
> <jephraim at roanoketexas.com> wrote:
> > We are also using a Dymo TurboWriter 400 USB printer for our spine
> > labels. Our only gripe is that we can't change the base font type or
> > make the letters bold, but that is an Evergreen limitation, not a
> > printer one.  We are just bumping up the size of the characters to make
> > them more legible.
>
> Jesse, there is a server side skin/print.css file where you can
> specify fonts and text decorations, but it'd be global for all users
> of your server.
>
> Right now it contains:
>
> .first_pre {
>     page-break-after: always;
>     margin-top: -0.20cm;
> }
>
> .not_first_pre {
>     page-break-after: always;
> }
>
> to get around a top-margin bug with the first label printed in a batch
> of labels.  You'd want to put any customizations in both of those
> stanzas.  Something like:
>
> .first_pre {
>     page-break-after: always;
>     margin-top: -0.20cm;
>     font-size: 12pt;
>     font-weight: bold;
> }
>
> .not_first_pre {
>     page-break-after: always;
>     font-size: 12pt;
>     font-weight: bold;
> }
>
> It wouldn't take much hacking to create an org unit setting for
> dynamically inserting library specific custom CSS into the labels, or
> to have a textbox for such in the label interface itself.

In addition to the print.css change at
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS-Contrib/browser/conifer/branches/rel_1_6_0/xul/server/skin/print.css, we also use a customized version of spine_labels.js that displays the desired font for us (the pertinent line for spine labels is http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS-Contrib/browser/conifer/branches/rel_1_6_0/xul/server/cat/spine_labels.js#L102)

Turning these into org_unit settings would be quite useful.