[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen and OCLC WorldCat Local

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Thu Jan 28 14:18:34 EST 2010

Hi Ruth:

On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 11:46 -0500, Ruth Dukelow/mlc wrote:
> We have just learned from OCLC that they have abandoned their plans to
> develop WorldCat Local for Evergreen.  Instead, apparently OCLC is
> going to release an API and leave it up to Evergreen libraries to
> write their own interface.  This is disappointing to us because at
> least one of our Michigan Evergreen libraries was planning to use
> WorldCat Local.
>
> Question for all of you - do any of you have plans to write an
> interface when/if OCLC releases the API for WorldCat Local?  If not,
> what are other Evergreen libraries using similar to OCLC WorldCat
> Local?
>
> Thanks for your help, Ruth
>
> PS for those of you unfamiliar with WC Local, here's a link to info:
> http://www.oclc.org/us/en/worldcatlocal/default.htm

I have no such plans, but if I was going to do something like that I
would need a better idea of what sort of work would need to be done; I
didn't find any developer-oriented information linked from that site,
but maybe I just missed it. I thought that the idea of WorldCat Local is
that you load your holdings into WorldCat, then they do (most of) the
rest automatically.

I guess there would be some integration work like adding live
availability lookups (should be trivial), but possibly they support
other activities like placing holds, etc?